This blog has been updated on 12.15.2020.
As the year 2020 is finished, it’s now time to take a step back and reflect on last year’s achievements—and begin learning for the year 2021
“The way I measure my life is – Am I better than I was last year?” – Satya Nadella
Since it’s GA release on the 30th of September, 2019, the interest and popularity have been massive. Due to the popularity, I thought it’d be useful to share some of the free available learning content.
I hope the links in this article help you kickstart (or progress) your Windows Virtual Desktop implementation in 2021! Happy (new year) learning! 🙂
Disclaimer: All the material posted in this article is free! Do you have other good free materials? Feel free to post it in the comment section below.
Desktops in the Cloud (Podcast)
- Episode 1: Recent updates and more about Windows Virtual Desktop with Kam VedBrat, WVD group PM lead
- Episode 2: Work hard, play hard: Powerful Desktops in the Cloud with Microsoft MVP, Freek Berson
- Episode 3: What’s new from Microsoft Ignite: Windows Virtual Desktop with Pieter Wigleven, WVD PM lead
- Episode 4: Save space and Money on your FSLogix deployment with Jim Moyle, WVD GBB
- Episode 5: Experience MSIX app attach integration in the Azure Portal with Stefan Georgiev, WVD PM
- Episode 6: Performance Optimizations for Windows Virtual Desktop with Robert and Tim (aka VDI Guys)
- Episode 7: User experience and clients updates with Sandeep Patnaik, WVD PM lead
- Episode 8: Experience the latest WVD in the Azure Portal updates with Pavithra Thiruvengadam, WVD PM
- Episode 9: RDP Protocol improvements and RDP Shortpath deep-dive with Denis Gundarev, WVD PM
- Episode 10: A year Desktops in the Cloud episodes in review, watch all the highlights out of 2020
Azure Architecture Center
As part of a great Microsft internal field initiative that I led we created two very important articles on how to use Windows Virtual Desktop as well as FSLogix at Enterprise scale. The articles include tons of best practices and tips and tricks that get you up to speed proactively while designing a large virtual desktop infrastructure on Microsoft Azure.
- Windows Virtual Desktop for the Enterprise: aka.ms/wvdbestpractices
- FSLogix for the Enterprise: aka.ms/fslogixbestpractices
Recently, I’ve presented a webinar on the above content. This information could be very valuable for everyone that is using this blog article to kick the tires on Windows Virtual Desktop.
Get guidance on:
- Virtual machine sizing requirements for single and multi-session to help maximize usage and performance.
- Preparing your network for Microsoft Teams to support remote worker collaboration.
- Managed storage options to optimize FSLogix profile containers for your user and regional requirements.
- Optimizing your host pool and image gallery setup for the best user experience.
Top 5: Personal blog articles
- Windows Virtual Desktop technical (2020 – ARM-based model – generally available) deployment walkthrough. It covers all you need to know and beyond!
- The future of application virtualization. Learn here how to configure MSIX app attach (via the Azure Portal) packages containers on Windows 10 Enterprise multi and single-session for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Learn how to deploy the Remote Desktop (MSRDC) Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) client as Intune Win32 app – via Microsoft Endpoint Manager (MEM) to your physical clients
- Learn how to exclude files and extensions from syncing to OneDrive – to run better on a Windows Virtual (and physical) Desktop environment
- Optimize your Windows 10 single and multi-session images with the new (Windows) Virtual Desktop Optimization Tool
Azure Friday episode w/ Scott Hanselmann
Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) is a comprehensive desktop and app virtualization service running in Azure to enable secure remote work. Christiaan Brinkhoff joins Scott Hanselman to show how WVD is different from other desktop virtualization technologies, as well as how easy it is to implement and maintain. Deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes and get built-in security and compliance features.
0:00 – Introduction
0:25 – Episode start
1:07 – WVD architecture
3:40 – Deploying WVD in the Azure portal
7:30 – Managing host pools and sessions
10:17 – Azure Log Analytics and Azure Monitor
12:10 – Connecting to virtual desktops and apps
14:42 – Centralized storage for profiles and files
17:00 – High-performance virtual desktops
19:00 – Using Teams in WVD
21:13 – Virtual applications (MSIX app attach)
23:21 – Feature roadmap & episode wrap-up
Microsoft Learn is a completely free structured learning experience as part of Microsoft Docs. Microsoft Docs is to absorbed content in a more search and navigate manner than learn–mostly based on free videos and multiple-choice type of content.
The good news is that not so long ago–a very comprehensive new video series on Windows Virtual Desktop is added to learn and—test knowledge check yourself.
Windows Virtual Desktop – ARM-based
- Introduction to Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Prepare for Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Deploy Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
- Optimize Windows Virtual Desktop in Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Docs is the technical library of documentation for end-users, developers, and IT professionals who work with Microsoft products. Learn here in a walkthrough manner how to install and configure Windows Virtual Desktop.
- What is Windows Virtual Desktop?
- Storage options for FSLogix profile containers in Windows Virtual Desktop
- Set up MSIX app attach
- Windows Virtual Desktop partner integrations
- Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session FAQ
- Azure Pricing Calculator for WVD
- Windows Virtual Desktop Experience Estimator
- Find the rest of the WVD – Microsoft Docs documentation here.
Microsoft Mechanics is Microsoft’s official video series for IT Pros. Watch & share valuable content and demos from the people who build it–all freely available from YouTube.
The videos have a high focus on demos, how-to’s and insights for Microsoft 365, Azure, Office, Windows, Surface and quantum computing–and as part of continuously added new series, Jeremy Chapman and the WVD Engineering group created a complete Windows Virtual Desktop Essentials (video) how-to series.
- Windows Virtual Desktop 2020 updates | Microsoft Ignite 2020
- Windows Virtual Desktop updates for admins (2020)
- IT Updates to Manage Remote Work – Microsoft Endpoint Manager, WVD & Productivity Score
Microsoft Tech Community
The Microsoft Tech Community is a place to interact with IT Pros, Developers and end-users along with Microsoft. The focus of the site was initially on Office 365 but now encompasses Azure, Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) and many other–like Windows Virtual Desktop–Microsoft technologies. A great success.
- Getting started: Windows Virtual Desktop ARM-based Azure portal
- (Windows) Virtual Desktop Optimization Tool now available
- Proactively monitor ARM-based Windows Virtual Desktop with Azure Log Analytics and Azure Monitor – Microsoft Tech Community
- Accelerate your RDS and VDI migration to Windows Virtual Desktop
- A guide to Windows Virtual Desktop at Microsoft Ignite 2019
- Getting started with FSLogix profile containers on Azure Files in Windows Virtual Desktop
- Getting started with Windows Virtual Desktop
The Azure Academy YouTube channel is created by fellow Microsoft colleague Dean Cefola–from the Azure FastTrack team. In his channel, he shares his deep-dive field experiences and best practices on Azure services for free–how awesome is that?
I also like the stuff he created–because it’s technology-driven, which I like. Dean recently started with a completely new series on how to Deploy, Manage and Maintain Windows Virtual Desktop. Make sure to follow his YouTube channel.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – New WVD Admin Portal | Windows Virtual Desktop – #01
- Windows Virtual Desktop –AzureFiles AD Auth & FSLogix | Windows Virtual Desktop – #02
- Windows Virtual Desktop –Image Management | Windows Virtual Desktop – #03
- Windows Virtual Desktop –Update Session Hosts from Latest Image | Windows Virtual Desktop – #04
- Windows Virtual Desktop –WVD Optimizations Nuff Said! | Windows Virtual Desktop #05
- Windows Virtual Desktop –WVD Scaling Tool | Windows Virtual Desktop # 06
- Windows Virtual Desktop –Azure Storage – #7 – Azure NetApp Files
- Windows Virtual Desktop – WVD Monitoring Workbook Step by Step | Windows Virtual Desktop #08
- Windows Virtual Desktop – DR Planning
- Windows Virtual Desktop – The SECRET to FSLogix
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Take The RDP Short Path
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #1 – Deployment
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #2 – Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #3 – User Profiles
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #4 – HA Profiles
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #5 – User Experiences
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #6 – Web Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #7 – Scale-Out
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #8 – WVD Azure ADDS
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #9 – WVD Diagnostics
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #10 – WVD Automation
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #11 – WVD Monitoring
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #12 – WVD Update Management
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #13 – WVD MSIX App Attach
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #14 – Scaling Automation
- Windows Virtual Desktop – #16 – AzureFiles AD Auth & FSLogix
Microsoft Partner Network
While every partner’s journey is different, following these steps will enable you to innovate faster, better support customers, and get guidance on the next Windows Virtual Desktop opportunity for your business.
- Windows Virtual Desktop Sales and Business Value Fundamentals
- Windows Virtual Desktop solution brief
- Windows Virtual Desktop slide deck
- Other useful Microsoft Partner Resources
WVD Architectural – Planning Poster
The Remote Desktop Services team has created a poster to help you plan, build, and run your Windows Virtual Desktop environment.
There are currently no Microsoft Certifications specific to Windows Virtual Desktop available. To get certified on this specific topic, I’d personally recommend you to pass (at least) the following related certifications below:
Pro tip: Are you attending Ignite the Tour soon? Make sure to take advantage and claim your free exam here.