FSLogix Office 365 Container
As Office 365 rolls out into the enterprise, often a forgotten component is the VDI\RDSH\XenApp environments. Generally, these environments are designed to be non-persistent, as we look at how to deal with the data components of O365, OST, Skype for Business Global Address List (S4B GAL), OneNote, and OneDrive, IT has been left with only a few options. Option 1, go online and deal with the user complaints, Option 2, cache everything local, this creates large repetitive downloads of data or user being bound to a particular machine, not very non persistent, or Option 3 put data on a network folder, this results in high IO, data corruption and performance issues. Now FSLogix has a solution that gives both IT and User the desired performance and persistence.
For enterprise class performance expected by your end-user community, Cached Exchange Mode (CEM) must be enabled in Outlook. Once CEM is enabled, very large files (.OSTs) will need to persist between virtual workspace sessions. Doing this with traditional approaches like roaming profiles or Folder Redirection will lead to extensive logon times and severe network and performance issues, often times preventing the success of virtual desktop initiatives. To make matters worse, many of these workarounds are supported by Microsoft in a very limited scenario and on a ‘best effort basis’.
FSLogix addressed this problem with the release of our award winning Profile Container solution, launched at Citrix Synergy 2015.
Starting in July, 2016, a subset of FSLogix Profile Containers is now sold as a separate drop-in module, FSLogix™ Office 365 Container, allowing administrators to take full advantage of our Office 365 support without having remove their existing profile or UEM solution. This new offering is the industry’s first drop-in solution that enables true Cached Exchange Mode for all virtual workspaces using Office 365, real time search for virtual desktops, and allows user data to persist/roam in OneDrive for Business.
Liquidware ProfileUnity – Windows Desktop Migrations
If you’re a desktop administrator tasked with migrating users to the latest version of Windows — whether physical, virtual or DAAS — you’ll find that ProfileUnity can help automate the process, keep it more secure, and prevent many of the errors that can arise from scripting and manual processes.
ProfileUnity makes Windows user profile migrations to Windows 10/Server 2016 at least 4X faster and much more accurate. Migrate once with ProfileUnity and you have potentially ended this task forever with the following advantages:
- ProfileUnity automatically “harvests” user profiles, settings, user-authored data and application settings from existing profiles, enhancing efficiency and precision in the Windows migration process. ProfileUnity resolves multi-version user profile issues (from Windows XP, 7, 8.1) to maintain compatibility with Windows 10 and Server 2016.
- Agent software does not translate the profile; rather the profile retains Windows’ own native formats.
- The solution creates a “universal user profile” that supports co-existing (both backward and forward compatibility) over multiple Microsoft Windows OSs, allowing you to “migrate once and forever” to newer desktop or server OS versions.
- Administrators can automatically “clean up” profiles before the migration is started, so only the desired parts of the profile and user-authored data and files are moved over. ProfileUnity further compresses the remaining user-profile transfer and network storage in a ratio that is as much as 50:1, for more efficient use of storage resources.
- Profile and data migration with ProfileUnity features ZERO user downtime. Users can literally log off their legacy desktop and instantly log on to the new desktop with their updated user profile.
- ProfileUnity seamlessly makes users’ custom application data settings available, even across disparate versions of virtually all applications.
- User-authored data (e.g., My Documents, Videos, Pictures, etc.) syncs automatically in the background while Centralized Data Migration Reporting validates that groups of users are migrated successfully. These advanced features ensure user data is migrated and that administrators know exactly which migrations were successful and which were not.
ProfileUnity profiles are compatible across all desktop delivery platforms. Whether the new version OS is on physical desktops or Citrix or VMware virtual desktops, the profile will work seamlessly – with no downtime – for users who can simply log off older desktops and log on to upgraded desktops. Best of all, ProfileUnity goes beyond Windows user profile migrations to offer robust User Environment Management so that post migration, administrators can continue to manage user profiles efficiently and boost desktop security with in-place desktop backup and DR / replication strategies.
Altaro VM Backup v7.5
The latest Altaro Backup software now supports backing up to Azure! Until now Altaro VM Backup took a second backup copy to a local disk, network path or an Altaro Offsite Server. By adding support for Microsoft Azure Cloud Storage Accounts, users can now simply enter their account details and have their Offsite Copies stored in Azure.
Some other useful information around Altaro backup to Azure can be find on the links below: